I had the honor of being hosted on a familiarisation trip by the Namibian Tourism Board and Air Namibia before the coronavirus pandemic led to a lockdown of borders by different countries, and I must say, I was blown away by this hidden beauty in Africa. Namibia’s desert, safari, city and sea life are a few of the things I look forward to exploring on my return after the borders open.
Places to visit in Namibia
THE NAMIBA DESERT
The Namiba desert, the world’s oldest desert, is a place one should definitely visit. The Sossusvlei, located in its southern parts, is a dome surrounded by high red dunes. Here one find some of the tallest sand dunes in the world, the tallest being known as the Big Daddy.
EXPLORING THE CAPITAL CITY
The capital city of Windhoek boasts of beautiful German architecture and numerous attractions such as the National Museum, Heroes acre, Independence stadium to mention but a few.
On Walvis bay, found on the coast of Namibia, one can watch the sand dunes kiss ocean from the Sandwich harbour.
The multiplicity of ethnicity brings diversity of culture to this beautiful land.
CHEETAH CONSERVATION FUND, OTJIWARONGO
Here one can find Namibia’s cheetah population, which happens to be the largest number of free-roaming cheetahs in the world.
ETOSHA NATIONAL PARK
Namibia’s Etosha national park guarantees you the chance to see 4 of the big 5 in terms of wildlife.
See the shipwrecks found on the jealously guarded coastline referred to by the natives as “the land God made in anger”, Skeleton coast.
The beautiful landscapes visible at Damaraland include the Klip rift Valley.
11 THINGS TO DO IN NAMIBIA:
1. Game drives; Safaris at our National Parks
2. A visit to Sossusvlei and Deadvlei (get to climb one of the biggest dunes in the world).
3. Boat cruises,
4. Quad biking, Camel riding.
5. Helicopter flights,
6. Sandwich Harbour; a visit to the magnificent landscape where the Namibia Desert meet the Atlantic Ocean (only in Namibia).
7. Experience and interact with local people
8. A visit to and hiking at Fish River Canyon
(2nd largest canyon in the world).
9. A visit to Ghost Town (Kolmanskop; an abandoned town in southern of Namibia).
10. A visit to the Skeleton Coast, including Seal Colony.